Photo: It’s Nation Time. Amiri Baraka. Black Forum Records (Motown). 1972.
For Wednesday 11/13, read chapter 7 (Black Politics) in Maulana Karenga’s Introduction to Black Studies.
Also read “Kwame Nkrumah, The Political Rehearsal: His American Years” (101-113) in Dr. Clarke’s Notes for an African World Revolution. Also read “On Leadership” (pp.33-34) and “On Alliances” (pp. 39-40). Obviously this means you must bring both books with you.
What to read for/concentrate on: TBA–will post this weekend
Highlights from last class:
- Reviewed the parts of Chapter 6 on Africana Womanism in Maulana Karenga’s Introduction to Black Studies (pages 265-283).
- Did not get to Clenora Hudson-Weems’s “Africana Womanism: an Overview” (PDF on the Readings page)
- Musical intro: Nana Camille Yarbrough’s “Hand Me Down Love” Listen on YouTube
- Musical interlude: Queen Latifah “U.N.I.T.Y.” Listen on YouTube
- Schedule change: Class meets on Wednesday November 20 and doesn’t meet on Wed November 27 (the night before Thanksgiving).
- Our next quiz is moved to 11/20 (not 11/13, as on the syllabus)