Image: Building More Stately Mansions. By Jacob Lawrence. 1944. Oil on Canvas, Fisk University Libraries, Nashville TN.
For Wednesday 10/3:
- Read: the first half of Chapter 4 (Africans in America) in Maulana Karenga’s Introduction to Black Studies (Sections 4.1-4.9 only; pages 105-147).
- Pay special attention to the subsections on Reconstruction, Booker T. Washington, WEB DuBois, Marcus Garvey, Ida B. Wells
- Pay special attention to Critical Thinking questions 1 and 3 on p. 185, especially the comparisons between the people named above
- Read “Marcus Garvey and the Concept of African Nation Formation in the Twentieth Century” (pp. 197-244) in Dr. John Henrik Clarke’s Africans at the Crossroads: Notes for an African World Revolution
Quick highlights from tonight’s class:
- Viewed first half of the documentary film on Dr. John Henrik Clarke A Great and Mighty Walk. See it on YouTube here.
- Highlights from Karenga’s Chapter 3: African history.
- NEW: lecture notes for the last 2 classes now posted on the Lecture Notes page
- The Black Panther Party film festival is at Maysles Cinema in Harlem the weekends of 9/28-29 and 10/5-6. Of particular interest are the following films:
- Malcolm X: An Overwhelming Influence on the Black Power Movement 9/28
- Marcus Garvey: Look for Me in the Whirlwind 9/29
- Slavery By Another Name 10/6
- Winnie 10/6
- NY State’s voter registration deadline is approaching for the November elections. Download an application here (PDF). New applications must be postmarked by 10/12 and received by 10/17. Changes in political party affiliation deadline is 10/12. Address change deadline is 10/17. You can also register/change info in person. Full details at the Board of Elections website.